Imagine that you are a legislative consultant hired to assess the influence of stakeholders and interest groups on a health policy issue. Your supervisor has asked that you present your assessment findings to the senior leadership of your organization to inform their decisions on how best to approach their intended organization-wide position statement regarding this issue.
As a first step, you will select one of three health policy issues from the Project Two Health Policy Issue Scenarios document. As part of the background study, you will conduct preliminary research about the selected issue and analyze the impact of the selected issue on various stakeholders. This background study and assessment of the selected issue will serve as a foundation for your Project Two final presentation. In this Project Two Preparation assignment, you will essentially analyze the selected health policy issue and describe how it influences the decision-making process in healthcare.
Your research in this Project Two Preparation will be specific to the nonfinancial impact of the selected policy on various stakeholders. In your second Project Two Preparation, which is due in Module Seven, you will explore the financial implications of the selected issues. Together, both of these Project Two Preparation assignments will prepare you for the Project Two submission due in Module Nine.
Create a research report summarizing your assessment findings on your chosen health policy issue. This research report will serve as a support document in the Project Two final submission.
You must cite at least three sources to support your claims. You may cite no more than one source from the module resources; all other resources must come from your own research. In other words, you may cite no more than one resource from the Resources section of this module. For additional help completing this assignment, refer to the Shapiro Library Guide: Nursing Graduate item in the Start Here module. You may also use the Online Writing Center, located in the Academic Support module.
Use this resource to help you complete this assignment:
Specifically, you must address the following rubric criteria:
- Health Policy Issue: Describe your chosen health policy issue in a clear, concise manner. Consider the following guiding questions in your response:
- Why did you choose this health policy issue for your Project Two work?
- How might this health policy issue be explained to someone who has never heard of it before?
- Key Stakeholders and Interest Groups: Identify three key stakeholders and/or interest groups impacted by your chosen issue. Consider the following guiding questions in your response:
- Who are the stakeholders and/or interest groups that will be primarily affected by this issue, either positively or negatively?
- How might vulnerable populations and underserved areas be affected by this issue?
- Influence on Decision Making
- Stakeholder Needs: Describe the nonfinancial needs of the identified three key stakeholders and/or interest groups with respect to your chosen issue. Consider the following guiding questions in your response:
- How are the nonfinancial needs of the identified stakeholders and/or interest groups affected by the selected issue?
- How does this issue impact vulnerable populations or underserved areas?
- Health Policy Influence: Describe the kinds of nonfinancial influence that the three identified key stakeholders and/or interest groups can have on health policies. Consider the following guiding questions in your response:
- Which three stakeholders and/or interest groups can have significant nonfinancial influence on the selected issue?
- Which three stakeholders and/or interest groups have subtle or covert nonfinancial influence on the selected issue?
- Benefits and Disadvantages: Describe how the identified three stakeholders and/or interest groups might benefit or be disadvantaged by your chosen issue. Do not include any financially related benefits and disadvantages. Consider the following guiding questions in your response:
- Which of the identified stakeholders and/or interest groups benefit from this issue?
- Which of the identified stakeholders and/or interest groups are disadvantaged by this issue?
- How might those in vulnerable populations or underserved areas be benefited or disadvantaged by this issue, not including financial benefits or disadvantages?
- Value Conflict Analysis: Describe the potential value conflicts between identified stakeholders and/or interest groups relating to your chosen issue. Consider the following guiding question in your response:
- What nonfinancial value conflicts might the identified stakeholders have concerning this issue, and why?